AGWM Europe Spiritual Formation Beta Course
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dalene Good

Day 3 - Piper article on fasting & History Empty Day 3 - Piper article on fasting & History

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:46 pm
As was mentioned in another forum thread, Piper likes to outline every small angle of his argument (he wanted to make sure that we don't expect/demand from God too much by looking at the connection of fasting/revival; and also that we don't elevate a person too much). It's certainly not a "put in a coin, get out a gumball" automatic thing...but I do think we can hope that God will bring breakthru in us (and that will change those around us) through fasting. I think it is good to be passionate about our hunger for God to do something incredible.

2 statements struck me -
About it being in secret. I've known people who make it strange/weird by covering up their fasting. And then there's plenty who make it a point of "I'm so awesome". I'd love to land somewhere in the middle on that, towards balance. if you "want someone to know you are fasting so you can bask in their admiration" Piper said. Hmmmmm, do I do that?

and he spoke about the "penitential heart-cry to God for revival" and longing for "Your fullness in the church and Your glory in the world"...yes Lord, stir it up in me!!
MarkGood

Day 3 - Piper article on fasting & History Empty Jentezen Franklin

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:23 pm
I like how he brought out that "nothing was happening in Jesus fast except a battle and temptation but He returned in the power of the Spirit." Lord help my limited vision and shortsighted evaluation to not be the determining factor of what you are doing in me. I am believing that we will emerge from this time of deprivation and testing of our wills having more of your Spirit's power manifested in our lives.

Also I was touched by his statement "Get broken. When my eyes are dry my soul is dry. God wants to make you sensitive again" I do want this fast to help me to return to a greater sensitivity and eyes that weep easier in His presence like before.

And his last statement that impacted me was "Im emptying out so you can fill me up" If there is anything in me that is preventing Him from filling me with more of Him then I want that emptied out of me in these days because what I really need more of is Him.
Curt Hobbs

Day 3 - Piper article on fasting & History Empty Secret and alone

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:37 pm
I liked the idea of doing things in secret. I had always heard that we fast secretly so as not to get any pride from making sure others know we are fasting. Dalene's "balance" is certainly the place to be. From a discipleship perspective, I think that we can describe our fasting experiences as a way to motivate someone to fast, but probably not while we are doing it.

The challenge I faced with with his emphasis on fasting in secret was so the God would reward us openly. It may be me and my legalistic upbringing, but if I focus too much on the reward I get from it, somehow it seems counter productive. But I do want to receive something from my fasting (intimacy, direction, etc.), so Lord help me.
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://spiritualformation.forumactif.com

Day 3 - Piper article on fasting & History Empty Post on correct day

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:47 pm
Hey everyone
JuSt an encouragement to be sure and make Day 3s posts on Day Three section of the forum. We met get lost otherwise.
Thanks !
Warren Van Dolsen

Day 3 - Piper article on fasting & History Empty Re: Day 3 - Piper article on fasting & History

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:55 pm
My mistake! Posted on day 2. When I went to day 3 to post it there it said that only administrators could post.
Admin
Admin
Admin
https://spiritualformation.forumactif.com

Day 3 - Piper article on fasting & History Empty Re: Day 3 - Piper article on fasting & History

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:58 pm
Oops I don't know why. Maybe it's a setting o. Eee to correct . Sorry about that
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum