AGWM Europe Spiritual Formation Beta Course
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Dalene Good

Day 2 - Piper article Empty Day 2 - Piper article

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:51 pm
I read the wrong part initially (prior to chapter 1, the secrion entitled "a homesickness for God".) I really liked it (it was speaking to me more than the debate on fasting being biblical). Piper says that we need to develop a heart longing for God, a homesickness that is only assuaged when we connect with Him. He was saying the greatest dangers are not "evil things" (sin), but " the greatest adversary of love for God is not His enemies, but His gifts". We satiate or "medicate" the dissatisfaction or sadness in our hearts with food and people and other things.
Sara Hobbs

Day 2 - Piper article Empty Response to Dalene

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:08 pm
Hi Dalene! I read the introductory chapter as well (on purpose, though) and thought it was very good. The good always seems to be the enemy of the best. His point about God testing us so that we can see what is in our hearts (i.e. Abraham sacrificing Isaac) reminds me of Dallas Willard. I think it’s an important perspective to cultivate. As far as the chapter about whether fasting is Christian, I suppose these days it’s a very important place to start. Even Christian culture doesn’t like self- denial, much less the world!
Dalene Good

Day 2 - Piper article Empty Re: Day 2 - Piper article

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:31 pm
Hi Sara! Reading comments from you guys always makes me want to chat and get off topic! I would love to hear about your 40 day fasts (daniel or regular fast)? And what you feel like God spoke to you, birthed in you through them....

Was it your 1st time fasting (I can't remember exactly what you said?) - and it extended to 40 days? I am interested....because we are on a committee that is talking about spiritual formation goals for 1st termers; and I wanted to argue that it was a difficult leap to suggest going from no fasting, to 3 days, to 21 days. But maybe not...? Or maybe you experienced something very sovereign?
Sara Hobbs

Day 2 - Piper article Empty Response to Dalene

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:35 pm
Hi Dalene- I had done three day fasts and was planning for a seven day fast when I felt at day 6 or so that I should just continue. It was really a call from God, and I’m not sure anyone should do it unless they feel really called to. I don’t know about 21 day fasts, as I’ve never done a food fast for 21 days. My fast was a liquid fast. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with challenging someone beyond 7 days on a liquid fast because it takes so much time and energy, and I think it can become a source of spiritual pride or discouragement if it isn’t ordained by God.

I can’t say that I experienced a lot of life-changing things because of my fast. In fact, it made it harder to fast afterwards. The first three days are the hardest, but like I mentioned, anything beyond 7 is a lot of time and energy. I do one day fasts, but more often than not, they feel like skipping meals. I did experience a lot of grace and the Presence of the Lord during that time. I was praying for healing for Curt’s uncle, and he died, so that felt discouraging. I know that there have been a lot of things that probably came out of my fast that I may not relate to it. In fact, I didn’t share this, but my fast started with the day we had our interview with Cary Tidwell, and we were approved to go to Poland on the day it ended! Anyway, I feel like I’m rambling, so if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!
Sponsored content

Day 2 - Piper article Empty Re: Day 2 - Piper article

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum