AGWM Europe Spiritual Formation Beta Course
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Curtis Hobbs

Day 3 Piper, Fasting and the Course of History Empty Day 3 Piper, Fasting and the Course of History

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:18 pm
This was a very encouraging chapter that demonstrated very well how fasting has been influential in history to bring about revival or deliverance. This is truly one of the things I hope to develop more in my life and as we pray for direction here in Bosnia.  This is not a hard sell for me to begin with, but I realize he is writing to some people who are not desiring revival as an end to our prayers and fasting.  I also liked the three-fold punch of Acts 13:1-4 -worship, prayer and fasting.  These three are keys I do agree with him about.

The need for discernment is great and sometimes our passion to have God move among us trumps any questioning of a word that is spoken.  I do not think that Piper would embrace words of knowledge, wisdom, a prophetic word of tongues and interpretation.  But it seems discernment processes have been developed in some churches where people who are known guard the congregation and require someone who senses they have a word from the Lord to submit it first through the discernment team (if that is what it's called).
kirstenbuck

Day 3 Piper, Fasting and the Course of History Empty Re: Day 3 Piper, Fasting and the Course of History

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:06 pm
Have you ever heard of "Watch of the Lord" all night city-wide prayer meetings? I don't know if all of them follow this pattern, but I believe the standard procedure is for all words of prophecy/ wisdom are written on paper, and put in a box. Then, those leading the meeting pull them out and will read them to the congregation if they sense that the word is from the Lord. I've seen this work very well, because some people who are intimidated by speaking a word in front of people will have enough courage to write it on paper and stick it in the box, while others who might enjoy attention are discouraged from getting something to say for the sake of getting attention. It also allows leaders to read part of a message if they sense that they should, and leave out the rest. What impressed me, though, was that the message is emphasized more than the speaker.

I haven't seen this method used in any other setting, though.
Curt Hobbs

Day 3 Piper, Fasting and the Course of History Empty Re: Day 3 Piper, Fasting and the Course of History

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:27 pm
That does sound like a good process.
Dalene Good

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:15 pm
Hi Kirsten,

I've been in some churches that have elders at the front of the aisles, and people go to tell them a word; and then it is the elder that gives it. That was also a kind/practical way of helping people learn how to partner with the Spirit. I actually really like the idea of the box - I think it does take the pressure off for the shy/new person and takes the pressure off of the leader to publically shut something down.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum